Monday, July 7, 2014

Habits - Key to Effectiveness

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence then, is not just an act, it is a habit.
-Aristotle

The power of habits is mind-boggling. If we develop positive habits then we can multitask efficiently and achieve the desired results in all that we do. The question is, “Is there any standard technique, strategy or rules that can help us to develop the habit of becoming successful?” The answer to this is very well explained in the very inspiring book, ‘The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens’ by Sean Covey. In this book, he has put forward the seven fundamental habits that can help a teenager achieve the desired goals, fulfill his dreams, build a successful career, live a happy and stress free life and build a highly esteemed character.

Shivam House had an opportunity to explore, analyze, correlate and share the 7 habits of highly effective teenagers with all the students at AVM throughout the week. The following points were discussed in the assembly:

Habit 1: Be Proactive
· I am a responsible person
· I take Initiative
· I choose my actions, attitudes and moods
· I do not blame others for my wrong actions
· I do the right thing without being asked, even when no one is looking

Habit 2: Begin with End in Mind
· I plan ahead and set goals
· I do things that have meaning and make a difference
· I am an important part of my classroom and contribute to my schools mission and vision, and look for ways to be a good citizen

Habit 3: Put First Things First
· I spend my time on the things that are most important. This means I say no to the things I know I should not do
· I set priorities, make a schedule and follow my plan
· I am disciplined and organized

Habit 4: Think Win-Win
· I balance courage for getting what I want with consideration for what others want
· I make deposits in other’s emotional bank accounts
· When conflicts arise, I look for third alternatives

Habit 5: Seek First to Understand and then to be understood
· I listen to other people’s ideas and feelings. I try to see things from their view points
· I listen to others without interrupting
· I am confident in voicing my ideas
· I look people in the eyes when talking

Habit 6: Synergize
· I value other people strengths and learn from them
· I get along well with others, even people who are different than me
· I work well in groups
· I seek out other people’s ideas to solve problems because I know that by teaming with others we can create better solutions than any one of us alone
· I am humble.

Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw (Perpetual Learner)
· I take care of my body, by eating right, exercising and taking rest.
· I spend time with family and friends.
· I learn in a lot of ways and lots of places, not just at school.
· I take time to find meaningful ways to help others.

Under the guidance of teachers, the students explored what the parents, teachers and the business world expect from all the students. It was also an opportunity for the students at AVM to realize how the principles of AVM as laid down by Param Pujya Hariprasad Swamiji are leading them towards becoming the leaders of tomorrow.


What Parents, Businesses and Teachers want for students?
Mapping Habits
Swamiji’s Vision
Independence
Initiative, Self Motivation
Habit 1-3
Be proactive
Begin with end in mind
Put First Things first
Students should have a goal in life which should be serving parents and society…
Self Confidence
Planning Skills
Goal Setting Skills
Organization/Time Management
Interdependence
Conflict Management Skills
Habits 4-6
Think Win-Win
Seek first to understand then to be understood
Synergize
The Student should have stable Speech (vani), righteousness of act (vartan) and Thinking (Vichar).
Communication Skills (both listening and presentation skills)
Honesty
Fairness
Openness to Suggestion
Team Work
Problem Solving


Decision Making
Creativity
Renewal
Technical Skills
Habit 7
Sharpen the Saw
  • Physical
  • Mental
  • Emotional
  • Spiritual
The student should be a leader; wherever he should go he should make changes.
Love, passion, dedication, devotion, determination, enthusiasm and spirituality.
Good Health and Hygiene
Emotional Stability
Analytical Skills
Involvement in Meaningful skills
 
 Students understood that if they started with any one of the above mentioned habits, then slowly and steadily they will be able to imbibe the others. This will not only help them to become successful but also a good human being.

Such a person will be a significantly contributing factor to the family, society and nation.

Compiled by: Shivam House Team

No comments: